Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Let School Begin!

 Scott loves School.
He loves his teachers and the bus and his friends.
He loves the games they play, the songs they sing and the art they create.
I love that he loves it so much.
I love that he gets to do all the things he loves and that he's learning so much, often times he doesn't know he's learning and that is the sign of a great teacher.
Well how lucky is he, he get's two schools to go to this year.
He's going back to the school and teacher he went to last year.
Even though he enjoyed summer school it wasn't the same since Ms. Jan wasn't there.
Scott is so loved at this school, knowing this makes it easier to send my buddy boy off.

Here he is on his first day.
I can't even begin to describe his excitement.
Me on the other hand, missed him and even shed a tear as he drove off.
Why does he need to grow up?

He's Scott a week later on his first day of his other school.
He is taking this with his friend Jade.
I was so nervous about this school because the kids are a year older then him and the kids in his class are considered neuro typical.
I don't know them and I don't know their moms and I get nervous that sometimes Scott needs an explanation.
But then it occurs to me as it has for a while now that Scott is different from other kids because all kids are different.
All kids could use an explanation at times of why they are the way they are.
All parents have the same worries I do.
Will he be OK?
Will he get along well with the other kids?
Will he participate and listen to the teacher?
Will this change be good for him or not?
Well those questions can only be answered one way?
By going forward in faith.
Jade's mom is my visiting teacher and has thus become a close friend.
She told me about Jade's school and her teacher and it sounded like it might be a good fit for Scott.
The teacher has a lot of experience with children with special needs and when I met her I got a good feeling.
She kinda reminded me of my mom when with her daycare kids.
This thought set it in stone because me mom loves her daycare kids and treats them so good with that love.
I went forward trusting in her confidence to teach Scott and I'm so glad I did.
Scott loves it there and seems to get along well with others.
He he doing all the work and making such strides.
Another awesome bonus is having Jade in the class.
Not only because Amber and I carpool but also because Jade is a talker and I can get her to tell me how Scott did.
She tells me who he played with, what he played with, if he did his work and if he threw a fit or yelled at any one.
I have my own little spy.
Scott is thriving in both of his schools, learning different things in each.
He even has homework that he loves doing and I love helping him and getting to see him develop.
It is mainly writing exercises.
I tried working on these things over the summer but he hated it and wouldn't last very long without pulling away and shutting down.
But now he loves it.
Sometimes I get hard on myself and wonder what I'm doing wrong that the teachers are doing right to get him to do things that I can't.
But then I remember, they are professionals, and how blessed am I to get help from the professionals. 
Well here's to another new school year.
Let the good times roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment