Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dino-Mite Party

For the past four years September has come to mean one thing in this Ellis house:
PARTY TIME!
This year we decided to extend the celebrations to our extended family and close friends.
Scott loved planning a party.
I had planned to make everything a surprise to him but he snuck one glimse at the T-Rex pinata and wouldn't let it go until he could hold it.
I'm so glad he he did see it because as soon as I let him in on the planning the party was all he could talk about.
It wasn't just a lesson in patience but also in anticipation.
With his excitement came a longing in me to give him a great party.
Thanks to Pinterest my hope was able to be realized by pulling together many other party planners great ideas.
At times I wondered if I took too much on but Scott's sweet inquiries and excitement over his party reminded me that it was all for him and he would be happy with little.
When the day of the party came it became a bit stressful to get it all tied together but everyone was patient with my last minute scramble to pull it all together.
Scott asked every day for a week, "Can I go to my Birthday party?"
Everyday we had to say, "Yes you can, but not today."
Saturday came and we finally got to say, "Yes, Scotty, today is your party."
Such a smile, such excitement and such joy crossed his face that I knew all the planning was worth it.
When family and friends started coming Scott was thrilled.
He came alive in a way I have rarely seen.
He greeted everyone as they came in without prompting from us which was so great to see.
He has so much love for his family and friends, he completely feels their love for him which makes me so happy also.
Well to begin the party we had lunched which Scott of course did not eat, not with so much excitement in the air.
Then it was time for the activities.
First off was a Dinosaur hunt.
I got the idea from Pinterest but in the end all my pins gave no help on how to carry them out so I made one up.
I say this with pride because although it was a bit stressful to set up, it turned out wonderfully.
Scott loved going from each dinosaur and I was so proud of him for knowing every name.
At the end of the hunt they found a nest of dinosaur eggs.
I made them days before and I was so nervous that they would either be too hard or too soft for the kids to open with the hammers my sister and I made for them.
But they were just right and the kids had so much fun discovering dinosaurs inside.
Scott was thrilled to find a green T Rex in his which was such a happy chance.
Once done opening their eggs the only thing left to do was hit a pinata.
Scott was so excited for this but I was so proud of him for understanding he needed to take turns.
Even with all the craziness going on I couldn't help but be amazed at Scott's development.
He has come so far.
Before, I was always worried and trying to push him to the next stage.
Now, I just wish he would slow down, he grows so fast.
Well there was one more thing that needed to be done and that involved cake and presents.
Scott loved having everyone sing to him (surprising since he didn't even a week ago) and he even got to blow out his candles even though no one got to see it because we had to block the wind just to light it.
He finally understood the process of opening gifts, tearing open the paper, saying thank you to each person, then setting the toy down and going for the next.
That was the end of the party but luckily people left at a slow enough trickle that Scott didn't freak out over people leaving.
It was just all round a perfect day.
I can hardly believe that it went to well.
Often times I build up this perfect fantasy of how wonderful an event will be and it can seem a complete bust if one thing doesn't go right.
This was not that way.
With all those kids around I did feel a bit of pressure to keep them all involved and happy but not enough pressure to over whelm.
Scott was just wonderful and so happy and well behaved.
Even if everything else was falling apart that is the true sign of success.
Thank you Scott for bringing such joy into our lives.
You are such an incredible child and bring so much happiness to all those around you.
Never forget who you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment