Thursday, August 1, 2013

Swim Lessons

I am from a family of swimmers. 
That's what we did all day everyday in the summer growing up. 
My mom has a pool now and so we swim when we go to her house a lot. 
Scott is proving to be a true McEvoy; if there is water he must get in it. 
I have always felt that I was never going to pay for swim lessons because I can swim, I can teach him to swim. 
But his doctors recommended he be in classes to help with his social skills. 
So, doctors orders, we put him in. 
He was so excited to go to swim school. 
He got right in no problem. 
They had to sit on the steps and listen to the teacher. 
Not good for Scott. 
They had to blow bubbles in the water. 
Scott thought that was fun for two seconds. 
He has no problem getting his whole face under the water. 
They had to kick their feet. 
Child's play for this pro.
They had to splash their hands. 
He was getting bored and now distracted. 
Then they had to lay on their back. 
Really bored now that he has to just sitting there for other kids turns. 
He starts getting out of the water and coming to me, telling me he wants to go swimming.
 I guess what he was doing was not considered swimming. 
He saw the kids in the swim team swimming laps and really wanted to be with them. 
He kept trying to get in the lane with them. 
Dang kid. 
His teacher was getting pretty bugged with him by this point. 
Well the last part of the lesson was learning to jump in. 
Scott's been jumping in the pool for years. 
Thanks to my 'throw him in the deep end' approach to teaching he was already comfortable with all this stuff. But they don't let three year olds in any other class but the pre level. 
A friend has her daughter in level one class that goes on at the same time and he would probably do better in it. 
Well as the other kids are jumping in the water he decides to stop waiting and start swimming like he does at grandma's house. 
He jumped in, put his face in and started kicking. 
He doesn't move his hands, just his legs but he was moving. 
He's at the same level of swimming as his dad almost, not knowing when to lift his head which is the only reason I started freaking out while laughing, very confusing moment for me. 
The teacher got him after he swam about 5+ feet. 
I was so proud as a McEvoy for having this kid who loves the water and thinks he can swim. 
But I'm frustrated that he doesn't have a calm button, in the water but also in a few other areas.
I blamed his "issues" at first but then the old me who remembers babysitting dozens of children recalled that no child is an angel all the time.
 All children, especially three year old boys, have their crazy zones, Scott's is water and I haven't done anything to reel that in because water is supposed to be free play. 
I think I will try to do another swim lesson session in the future if we can get through this one. 
But I want to try other lessons to get him exposed to more things and because I don't want to tame him in the water. 
I'm afraid that lessons might teach him there is only one way to play in the water and the water is the one place that I feel like I see the real Scott.
No anxiety, no worries, no pressure. 
That's an amazing feeling. 
For now I'm enjoying my trouble maker looking oh so cute in his swim suit splashing around being bored because he's so smart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment