Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mission Completion

As I've mentioned earlier, I've had a lot of projects going on.
I've been really wanting to start on babies room but haven't been able to because I feel like I need to finish decorating Scott's room before I start something new.
I've also wanted to tie up some of the undone things around the house.
Here's just some of the things I've done.


While working on the corner hutch this past summer my up stairs neighbors were getting ready to move.
We took charge of the whole house at that point and needed to find new renters for the upstairs.
So we showed the house to a few people while their furishings were still there so we could have it rented imediately after they moved.
While showing it I saw their dresser.
I commented to them later what a beautiful piece it was.
They started complaining about it and said they don't want to take it with them to their new house.
I told them I wanted it.
So they sold it to me for $30.
What a steal right?!
Mark didn't think so.
He agreed with them that it was total crap.
I reminded Mark that I stood by him buying used bikes and fixing them and turning around to make a profit.
He still didn't like the thing but relented.
It took me a while to get started on it.
I really just wanted to find out if we were having a boy or a girl.
If it was a girl I wanted to pain the dresser and the mirror portion cream and antique it similar to the corner hutch.
Yes, I had my hopes up.
But we found out it was a boy and I started exploring other options.
After exploring all the options on pinterest I came up with the perfect solution.
I would paint it charcoal grey.
Scott was still using the changing table with drawers for his clothes and that had to go in with the baby.
Scott would use the dresser and eventually, when we moved and got a bigger tv we would use it for an entertainment system.
We are storing the mirror portion at my mom's till, heaven willing we have a girl, at which time we would abandon the tv idea and go back to plan A.
I also redid the picture board which is hanging above the dresser.

My mom found this head board at a consignment shop for $10.
I've been wanting a headboard for Scott's room ever since he went to a big bed.
It's hard to pass up $10 no matter how ugly it is.
Besides I knew I could work some magic on it.
So once again I went back to pinterest for ideas, how did I ever craft before pinterest?
I got a few tips on how to make it more modern and got the idea of doing the inside a different color.
In case you can't tell the color scheme in his room is grey, lime green and teal.
I added some decorative board on the sides to make it look more substantial and then a thicker board on the top also.
Since this picture was taken I have also redone the lamp shade to be teal also.


I also painted the book shelf.
Like the dresser and the head board it is painted charcoal grey but I decided to do the inside lime green to be similar to the head board.
I also made the curtains, I love them. 


And here is the topper.
I have been working on this quilt for a year.
I love argyle!
I could have machine sewn the quilting and been done within a day or so.
but I really wanted the hand sewn look.
I thought its just a few lines, nothing complicated, it shouldn't take too long right?!
No, as usual I underestimated the time and the annoyance of it all.
I put it off a lot.
Having it finished brings so much joy to my heart.


I've also been working on a few things around the house.
I repainted this table before at the same time as the corner hutch.
But it has taken me forever to hang things on the wall.
All over my house we have had bare walls.
I've had the frames out in front of the wall where I've thought of putting them but just couldn't make up my mind.
The walls in the front room are still bare but in the main part of the house the decor has finally moved up ward.


 After working so hard everywhere else I finally thought it was time to move into the babies room.
I am doing it navy blue, light greyish blue, and red with a nautical theme.
Yes, I got this idea from pinterest.


And finally, I've started on the wall quilt for the baby.
If you remember from Scott's nursery I made an animal alphabet quilt for the wall.
Someday I hope to have a playroom to up all the quilts on the walls that I will have for my grandchildren.
They can have the quilts that belong to them after I die maybe.
I'm excited to see how this one looks.
I'll post the finished pics later.
It wont be finished till after the baby comes probably but that's fine.
Completing one project just means I get to start another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment