Friday, December 14, 2012

What is this World Coming to?

Today the unthinkable happened.  There was a shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. This 20 year old man first shot his mother then went to the school where she worked and went on a shooting rampage.  In the end 20 children and 6 teachers died then he killed himself making the total 28 dead.  I am horrified.  It has also come out that they believe this man had aspergers.  This rocks me even more.  I can't help but wonder how a mother raises a child in the world today?  I am so grateful for the gospel to help give me guidance and perspective in this question but I am still sorrowful.  Times like this that I start to have an inkling as to how Moroni must have felt seeing everyone around him die or becoming evil.  I wonder how he and his father continued on in such a fallen world.  I wish I could talk to Mormon and ask him how he raised such a righteous son with so much evil all around.  I am comforted by the spirit letting me know as it has so often to so many questions of "How am I supposed to do this?"  It whispers, "You can do it but it’s going to take a lot of work.  Just don't give up."  God bless those children who witnessed todays events.  God bless those families who now have to pick up the pieces to a mad man's disaster.  God bless the family of the shooter.  I have never thought about the family of shooters before.  I've always been so angry at the shooters and found comfort in thinking that they are getting the justice they deserve from God.  Finding out that this man possibly had aspergers and hearing that his mother told a neighbor that she might need help from him because her son was having more frequent fits.  I am given a whole new set of worries today.  Like I said the thoughts of comfort I used to be able to find after a shooting I am unable to gather.  I am some silly girl hundreds of miles away from this horrifying incident and as sad as I feel it is nothing in comparison to those in that city right now.  I am filled with empathy for them.  I pray for them.  I know that Heavenly Father is holding some beautiful spirits right now and I don't just mean those who died; I also mean those who are morning.  It is these times when we feel so alone and feel so angry that God is the closest wanting to carry us.  I have felt him at my darkest hour.  I pray that those hurting can find his comfort.  For now I find comfort holding my Scotty boy a little closer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment