Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mesa Verde National Park

What happens when spring hits?
We head out the door and go camping.
I love the adventures our family goes on.
I loved taking Dean on his first National Parks.
This time we decided to head down to Mesa Verde.
Arches is on the way so we stopped and did our favorite hike up to Delicate Arch.
This time Scott did the whole hike, up and back.
Dean and I hiked up together and he slept the whole way.
Scotty and Mark walk under the arch but I have discovered from this trip that I may not be afraid of hieghts for myself but while with my kids I turn into an anxious mess.
There were too many cliffs on this trip too.
I don't usually care if I look down but this time each time I looked down I saw one of the kids tumbling down.
It was a bit distracting while trying to enjoy the views.
Along the way we decided to take Scott off the road to a place with Dinosaur foot prints.
We saw them but we really had to look.
Scott didn't find them all that interesting since they were hard to see but oh well.
It will make a fun memory.

We scheduled a few tours when we got there but my favorite was Cliff Palace which we did first.
There were quite a few stairs and ladders.
My heart was freaking out at this point.
I could look down once the boys were safe on top.

Scott did enjoy himself at first but it became increasingly harder for him.
We saw ancient ruins, he saw amazing cliff houses to crawl through.
It was kinda hard to get him to understand no touchy.
But there were still a few places to crawl through.
There was even one of the dwellings that was kid friendly.
I guess it was pretty demolished or something.
Scott liked this one.
We did a scavenger hunt in it and Scott even earned his Junior Ranger Badge.
First one that he's gotten.
You might be wondering where the pic of us standing in front of the Mesa Verde sign is.
Yeah, about that, we forgot.
We got 45 minutes out of town when we remembered it.
I was so ticked off that we forgot.
It was a really fun trip but it was kinda one of those places that you don't need to go back to.
At least not right away.
So I can't officially check it off my list.
We have to go back, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment